Since my original blog about this bike I have had a few stress filled moments whilst working on it .
First one reared its head when I went to take the quill stem out , as it would only allow me to move it up or down about half an inch . When I finally got it all apart I found that the last inch of the quill stem had come adrift from the rest .
Next came the two plus hours trying to fit a set of guards , I could get the guards to sit ok but couldn’t get the stays to reach the mounting points so in the end I found some brackets that I fitted between the stays and the mounts .
The other issue my local bike shop sorted by re-dishing the rear wheel so it sat central in the frame.
Once all these were sorted it’s been plain sailing and I can honestly say it rides really smooth and all that’s left is to find the ideal tyre pressure .
In my last blog I wrote about my Dawes Debonair which I had just started doing some test miles on .
Well I am happy to report that in total last week I covered a total of 103 miles on it .
And I can honestly say it rode very well and on the 33 mile Saturday am ride it was actually averaging a higher speed than many of my more exotic rides without making me work any harder than usual . I don’t ride for the pure speed I ride to enjoy and watch the scenery and building’s I ride past en route .
The only thing that let it down was that I had forgotten to fit one of my Selle Smp saddle’s this mistake has now been rectified .
My intention is to use this as my winter road bike unless it sells beforehand .