I picked up a much adapted Holdsworth last week as it’s previous elderly owner had finally hung up his cycling jersey .
He had swapped the drop bars for a set of flats , replaced the original crankset for an mtb inspired triple item along with matching Shimano sis thumb operated gear shifters and mechanisms .
The only change I have made was to replace the steel rimmed wheels for a set of alloy rimmed ones with new tyres . I also cleaned and lubed the chain as it looked like it needed doing and fitted one of my selle smp saddles .
The only other thing I have done is to use it for about 60 miles in its first week it has done a mixture of daily commutes and a nice Saturday morning pleasure ride .
I picked up this very lightly used Ribble a few weeks back . The previous owner claimed to have only used it for about 100 miles .
As you can see it had originally been built with flat bars and brifters that only allowed 12 of the 14 gears to be selected due to a mismatch of components , I tried to sort this but couldn’t find those extra pair of gears .
Whilst trying it out a couple of other issues became apparent , it’s front caliper Allen key bolt was only just reaching the caliper threads and the headset spacer arrangement wasn’t tensioning the headset bearings .
Once this pair of issues was sorted I decided to swap the flat bars for a set of drops. First job was to replace the original rear wheel and fit a new 8 speed cassette and a set of NOS Claris sti units .
I had initially fitted a riser stem but soon swapped that out for a flat one . and started to cable up the gears and brakes .
After a bit of setting up it was time for some test miles to see what it felt like . All was good so next job is to fit the matching fr wheel and to sort out the squeaky fr mudguard .
Then once I am happy with everything I can finish it off with some new bar tape .
It has seen a degree of abuse and neglect since it rolled out of Decathlon .
Overall it wasn’t in too bad a condition and just needed a refresh .
First job was to lose the odd and incorrect wheels and replace them with a better set I had lying around .
Next job was to replace the chain and cassette as the chain registered over 75% wear .
I than gave it some miles to find any other faults . First one that came to light was that after anything more than a mile the saddle would start to move on its clamp , next up was to replace the brake pads as they were getting a bit thin , and then there was a bit of tidying up of the headset spacer arrangement by losing the lower clamp and fitting a couple of wider washers rather that the multiple narrow ones .
So after a week of commuting and making some adjustments I thought it was time to give it a proper ride .
Only a total of 35 miles but they were all very nice ones which the bike behaved well and did everything it was asked to do without any issues .
We had a lovely few days away in Blackpool recently
The pair of us love walking along seaside promenades and we don’t worry about the weather .
I bet most people come back with bags of rock and kiss me quick hats .
If the above statement is true then i am not one of those people because i bought back two rather different pieces of steel instead .
The blue one is what i believe to be a W P Newton frame with track style rear dropouts with the added bonus of brake holes front & rear making this a very useable frame indeed , the other one is a Paul Donohue Cougar made with Reynolds 853 with stunning paintwork .