Since my original blog about this bike I have had a few stress filled moments whilst working on it .
First one reared its head when I went to take the quill stem out , as it would only allow me to move it up or down about half an inch . When I finally got it all apart I found that the last inch of the quill stem had come adrift from the rest .
Next came the two plus hours trying to fit a set of guards , I could get the guards to sit ok but couldn’t get the stays to reach the mounting points so in the end I found some brackets that I fitted between the stays and the mounts .
The other issue my local bike shop sorted by re-dishing the rear wheel so it sat central in the frame.
Once all these were sorted it’s been plain sailing and I can honestly say it rides really smooth and all that’s left is to find the ideal tyre pressure .
In my last blog I wrote about my Dawes Debonair which I had just started doing some test miles on .
Well I am happy to report that in total last week I covered a total of 103 miles on it .
And I can honestly say it rode very well and on the 33 mile Saturday am ride it was actually averaging a higher speed than many of my more exotic rides without making me work any harder than usual . I don’t ride for the pure speed I ride to enjoy and watch the scenery and building’s I ride past en route .
The only thing that let it down was that I had forgotten to fit one of my Selle Smp saddle’s this mistake has now been rectified .
My intention is to use this as my winter road bike unless it sells beforehand .
I had great pleasure in a 3 mile ride at 5.45 am on Tuesday 6th November 2018 as it was the first time since 1975 that this 1966 Dawes Debonair had been ridden .
I purchased it a while back and was told by the gentleman that handed it over it originally belonged to his best cycling buddy who had bought it new in 1966 and used it very regularly till he died at an early age when it was handed over to the gent I got it from , he carried on using it till 1975 where upon he put it away in his garden shed .
When I got it , it was covered in cobwebs and so much dust that it had tarnished the paintwork quite a lot and both tyres were rock hard but brittle and as soon as I tried to remove them they just crumbled away .
After a few hours of wiping down with wet wipes , white spirit and fine wire wool I found the green paintwork so I could start applying some cutting compound and then polish it back into life . I then removed the original cottered crank for a much later double chain set and set about removing the required parts off a ladies Shogun bike I had lying around and this is the end result .
It rides very nicely indeed and hopefully will see many more miles as my winter road bike once I have covered a few more local test miles
Latest arrival in the garage is this Geordie built Hardisty built with Reynolds 531 competition tubing and a mixture of mainly Shimano 105 components from the mid 1990’s and a much more modern 105 triple crankset .
I love the Purple paintwork and it reminds me a lot of a Mark 1 Escort Mexico i had many moons ago that had been specially ordered in purple velvet by it’s original owner .
What with a triple crankset and a 7 speed megarange rear cassette , i should be able to climb all the local hills that Northamptonshire has to offer .