My latest purchase is a Bridgestone Synergy Rb2 circa mid 1980’s.
I have been keeping an eye out for one or an Rb1 which is its slightly better specified brother , I have not seen either come up for sale for ages
. This one popped up a few weeks back at slightly over my budget for a bike that I wouldn’t be able to see in the flesh before handing over the cash so any decision was based on half a dozen pictures and a handful of words from its seller .
It didn’t look in bad condition in supplied pictures with just the normal amount of age related marks and associated wear and tear for a bike that is 20+ years old , all of its original equipment was still fitted which is always a bonus . So once we agreed an all in price that included carriage to me the deal was done and the excitement began.
There is always a bit of anticipation when receiving a bike sent via a courier as you never know how well the sender has packaged it up to help keep it undamaged during transit by the various transport companies and handlers . The seller was good to his word and packaged the bike with lots of large sized bubble wrap around all the components including the frame . So upon lifting the components out the box it was nice to see it all neatly wrapped up . Once out of the packing I placed the frame in my bike repair stand and started to rebuild it , which meant re fitting the front wheel , pedals , handlebars seat post and saddle .
I always like to re assemble the bike just to make sure there are no missing or unexpected damaged parts . The only thing that I noticed was the rear wheel was slightly out of true more than I would like but it should be an easy fix . Once a substitute rear wheel was slotted in place and the brakes were re set , I set off for a tentative ride around the cul de sac a few times just to give me an idea what or how the bike felt like . My initial reaction was good apart from a slightly sticky rear brake caliper or cable .
A few daily commutes were done with the bike to give me a better idea of what work was required to turn this into a useable bike , it also gave me time to dig out a set of red rimmed Veluta road wheels that have been hanging around for ages . A couple of early morning tinkering sessions soon had the following parts replaced; wheels and tyres , 130 mm stem swapped for a 90mm one , brake cables , brake calipers , chain and 28 – 12 cassette fitted , I also fitted a couple of bottle cages and a pump along with fitting one of my selle smp 209 lite saddles for comfort .
I also did some gentle polishing of the paintwork as I removed things to make it easier, this also helped with the general appearance of the bike as the original red and white paintwork was rather dull in places and soon came up with a bit of elbow grease. I have still got a lot of polishing to do but at least the bit that has been done has shown it should come up quite nicely .
So far I have done two days of commuting with all the mechanical changes done and it is a lot smoother to ride , it is my intention to try and get at least one or two 10+ mile loop rides done before I venture any further away from home on it .
The last two pictures were taken over the weekend where i used the bike for a nice 43 mile ride on the Saturday and a quick 23 miles on the Sunday its a fantastic bike and on these two rides my average speed was 1 mph higher than normal , ok i now the weather makes a bit of difference but so does a good bike .